Yom Kippur Prayers
גמר חתימה טובה
Here’s a list of prayers and stories for Yom Kippur, divided by topics: vidui (confession), Neilah (closing service), living in holiness, time and death and mourning. Here’s a focused list of prayers for Elul, another one of prayers for Rosh Hashana and one more for Sukkot. And here’s a link to yizkor and memorial prayers.
Meditations on confession:
- Meditation Before the Yom Kippur Vidui – On preparing the heart and the mind for a thorough and honest confession. (http://bit.ly/ntTDyS)
- Meditation After the Yom Kippur Vidui – Living differently as a result of a heartfelt confession. (http://bit.ly/nAOoRh)
Neilah (Closing Service)
Prayers as the day ends and our hearts yearn:
- At the Gates – Standing at the gates of prayer, repentence and charity. (http://bit.ly/mUPfV1)
- Meditation before Neilah – What have I left to say to G-d? (http://bit.ly/qtYp2x)
Living in Holiness
These prayers and meditations examine living a life of holiness, focusing on attributes (like humility) and practices (listening for G-d’s voice, doing G-d’s will):
- For Wonder and Awe – To put aside vain pursuits and to seek G-d as my Holy Shelter. (http://bit.ly/9kw4m4)
- The Path of Righteousness – The path of righteousness is paved with questions. (http://bit.ly/9oYoGr)
- G-d’s Plan: An Introspection – A prayer/poem about surrendering to G-d’s will. (http://bit.ly/mJoe4B)
Prayers about the holiness of time and declaring that the moment of truth has come:
- The Season of Healing – The Yamim Noraim heal our souls and our lives. Today we accept that healing. http://tinyurl.com/25s2lss)
- The Season of Return – During the Yamim Noraim we prepare for t’shuva. Today we return to G-d. (http://bit.ly/dzMzJr)
Death and Mourning
- Near the End: A Meditation – On preparing for the journey of death with grace and dignity, awe and wonder. (http://bit.ly/fvkK3g)
- Remember – Whatever our fears, this is a call back to our deepest sense of peace and well-being. (http://bit.ly/crn85L)
- Things Break – Each day we face the flow of endings and beginnings. G-d’s love remains. (http://bit.ly/gcX3V0)
“Cantor Cohen” is a Yom Kippur story of a Chazzan preparing to lead his congregation in prayer, repentance and righteousness. (http://bit.ly/blDniD)
Click here for the full list of prayers for the Yamim Noraim, listed by topics. Here’s a focused list of prayers for Elul, another one of prayers for Rosh Hashana and one more for Sukkot. And here’s a link to yizkor and memorial prayers.
Please use these prayers. See “Share the Prayer!” in the right hand column.
For notices of new prayers posted here, please subscribe or join the To Bend Light fan page on Facebook.